yiayia’s lagithes recipe
Greek doughnuts drizzled in honey and sprinkled with cinnamon.
With a soft, gooey centre and a crunchy exterior, these sweet pockets of golden goodness will have you grinning from ear to ear. Yiayia coats her doughnuts in honey before sprinkling them with a little cinnamon. It’s impossible to stop at just one!
Makes about 16
10g fresh yeast or 1 tsp instant dried yeast*
400ml warm water, plus extra if needed
485g (3 1/4 cups) plain flour
pinch of salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed, for deep-frying
260g (3/4 cup) honey
ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
*Fresh yeast can be bought from your local bakery, but substitute with instant dried yeast if easier.
1. Combine the yeast and a little of the warm water in a jug and set aside until starting to bubble slightly.
2. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture, egg and remaining warm water. Stir with a spoon, then use your hands to bring the mixture together to form a very thick batter, making sure there are no lumps.
3. Fill a sink with hot water and place the bowl of dough in the sink. Cover with a plate and stand for 30 minutes or until the dough rises to the top of the bowl and is thick and slightly stretchy.
4. Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium–high heat. To test if the oil is hot enough, carefully drop a small piece of dough into the oil; if it sizzles, the oil is ready.
5. Working in batches, transfer the dough to a piping bag with a plain nozzle and pipe small dollops (about 1 1/2 tbsp) of the dough into the hot oil (Yiayia uses her hand as a makeshift piping bag, using her thumb to push blobs of dough over her forefinger). Don’t overcrowd the pan as the dough will double in size as it cooks. Cook for 5–6 minutes, using a slotted spoon to flip the doughnuts every now and then, until golden brown. Scoop the doughnuts onto paper towel to drain, then repeat with the remaining dough.
6. Place the honey in a small saucepan and gently warm over low heat until runny. Drizzle the honey over the doughnuts and sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon. Enjoy while warm.This is an edited extract from Yiayia Next Door by Daniel and Luke Mancuso (with Yiayia), published by Plum, RRP $36.99. In stores now.