make your own natural cleaning products
These simple recipes will keep your home sparkling clean and smelling fresh as a daisy, all while using ingredients you have in the pantry.
If you'd like to steer clear of chemical nasties and cut back on plastic packaging the next time you clean up, why not opt for a natural alternative instead? These simple recipes will keep your home sparkling clean and smelling fresh as a daisy, all while using ingredients you may already have in the pantry.
ALL-PURPOSE SURFACE SPRAY
This is a natural alternative to store-bought spray 'n' wipes that uses the cleansing scents of eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon to keep your surfaces shiny and fresh. To use, spray directly onto the surface, then wipe off with a clean, damp cloth.
1 cup distilled water
1 cup white vinegar
30 drops essential oils (we used a combo of eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon)
1. Combine vinegar and water into your jug and stir to blend.
2. Add your essential oils to the liquid mixture. If you’re using more than one oil, it’s up to you to choose the ratio of drops. As eucalyptus, rosemary and lemon blend really nicely together, we opted for an even 10 drops of each. A good rule of thumb is to start by mixing 10 drops together in your chosen ratio, have a good smell to see if the scents are balancing, adjust if necessary, then increase to the full amount of drops using the same ratio.
3. Pour your mixture into the spray bottle and seal. Give the bottle a good shake to mix it all together. It’s a good idea to shake the mixture prior to each use, as the oil and liquid tend to separate when left sitting for a while.
SPICK-AND-SPAN CLEANING PASTE
Perfect for showers, sinks, toilets and tile grout, this powerful paste will soon have your home buffed clean and smelling great. To use, apply one to two tablespoons of paste to the area you want to clean and scrub with a cloth. Leave on for a five minutes or so, then rinse with water and buff dry with a clean, dry cloth.
1 1/2 cups sodium bicarbonate (bicarb soda)
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tbsp unscented liquid castile soap
30 drops essential oils (we used a combo of lemon and eucalyptus)
1. Combine bicarb soda, vinegar and castile soap into your measuring jug and blend with a spoon into a smooth paste. Feel free to add more bicarb if you’d like a thicker paste, or a dash more vinegar if you’d like it thinned out a little.
2. Add your essential oils to the paste using the guide described in the spray recipe above. Use the spoon to thoroughly blend the oil into the paste.
3. Spoon your mixture into a jar to finish.