get fancy: three looks in one with clare from cockatoo make-up
Highlight your peepers with something sparkly.
Clare Exinger (aka @cockatoomakeup) is a dab hand with a make-up brush. Whether they’re highlighting their peepers with psychedelic colours or recreating a scene from the Untitled Goose Game just below their brow, Clare’s looks are always fun, experimental and pretty dang inspiring. If you’d like to give it a whirl yourself, check out Clare’s three-step tutorial below. Each step is a rad look on its own, so you can stop adding to it whenever you like.
View this post on Instagram
Clare’s top tips:
- Although you can find small eyeliner brushes these days, I recommend getting either nail art brushes or small brushes from an art shop, both of which I used here. They’re much cheaper and perfect for detail work.
- You can get a much more vibrant effect from powder eyeshadows if you apply them over a white cream base. I normally do this by running a white pencil eyeliner over my fingertip and patting it onto the eyelid.
- Dots are very forgiving. No one knows where they’re meant to go, so you can be a bit messy without it looking like a mess.
- The hardest part about drawing lines is replicating it on the other eye. Just take a deep breath, focus on where you want the line to go, and remember that no one will notice little mistakes or unevenness (especially if they’re 1.5m away from you!).
- Make-up is more fun and freeing when you take the impulse to experiment with a new colour or shape and run with it. It washes off, and you can start again. If doing make-up has taught me anything, it’s that you can do any old thing – if you carry it with confidence, then people will think it’s great.
You can read our full interview with Clare in frankie 99. Head here to find your closest stockist, pick up a copy from our online store or subscribe from $59.50.